Marble Falls in Burnet County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Michel's Drug Store
Ernst Gustav Michel (1865-1930), a native of Germany, and his wife, Lillie Agnes, opened a drugstore at this site in 1891. After fire destroyed the first store in 1905, Michel built a 3-story edifice here. The first floor housed the drugstore and soda fountain. The second floor was an opera house with seating for 300 people. The top floor had the family's living quarters. That structure burned in a fire that destroyed an entire city block in 1927. All four Michel children who lived to adulthood studied pharmacy. The Michel family has operated a drugstore at this location since 1891.
Erected 1984 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 9732.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1891.
Location. 30° 34.309′ N, 98° 16.655′ W. Marker is in Marble Falls, Texas, in Burnet County. Marker is at the intersection of Main St. and 3rd Street, on the right when traveling south on Main St.. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 216 Main St, Marble Falls TX 78654, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers Jim Lovell (here, next to this marker); 1910 Post Office Building (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Roper Hotel (about 600 feet away); Marble Falls Factory Site (approx. 0.2 miles away); Floyd Tillman (approx. 0.3 miles away); Governor O. M. Roberts' House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Otto Ebeling House (approx. 0.3 miles away); St. Frederick Baptist Church (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marble Falls.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 25, 2020. It was originally submitted on February 17, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,093 times since then and 73 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on February 17, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.