Decatur in Morgan County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
West of Allegheny Mountains - Tuscumbia, Courtland & Decatur RR.
Erected 1952 by Alabama Historical Association.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Railroads & Streetcars. In addition, it is included in the Alabama Historical Association series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1833.
Location. 34° 36.809′ N, 86° 59.178′ W. Marker is in Decatur, Alabama, in Morgan County. Marker is on Railroad Street Northwest east of Vine Street, on the left when traveling east. It is at the old Southern Railway Depot. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 701 Railroad St NW, Decatur AL 35601, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Old Decatur Historic District / Historic Depot (here, next to this marker); “An Affair Most Important to Us” - The Federal Right, October 27-28, 1864 (within shouting distance of this marker); African American Heritage in Old Town Decatur, Alabama (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Old Town Historic District Votes for Women (about 400 feet away); “A Hard Nut To Crack” - Federal Defenses at Decatur (about 500 feet away); Dancy-Polk House (circa 1829) (about 500 feet away); Historic Downtown/Founders Park (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Decatur.
More about this marker. In 2010 it was located near 34° 36.873′ N, 86° 58.999′ W, at the intersection of Wilson Street Northeast (Alternate U.S. 72) and Harborview Drive Northeast, on the right when traveling north on Wilson Street Northeast. This was likely where it was originally erected in 1952.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 5, 2019. It was originally submitted on February 20, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 1,528 times since then and 72 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 4, 2019, by Lugnuts of Germantown, Wisconsin. 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on February 21, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.