Summerton in Clarendon County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Summerton Presbyterian Church
This church, founded in 1875 as a mission of the Presbyterian Church in Manning, grew out of occasional services held in the Methodist church before the Civil War. The first worship site, a renovated carriage house, was located ½ mi. east at Wildwood Plantation, on Taw Caw Road.
Summerton Presbyterian Church was formally organized in 1883 with twenty-one charter members. A frame church was built on Main St. in 1885, but by 1905 the congregation wished to move from the downtown business district and began work on the present brick sanctuary here, completed in 1907.
Erected 2001 by the Congregation for the 125th Anniversary and in Memory of C. Alex Harvin, Jr., 2001. (Marker Number 14-14.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1875.
Location. 33° 36.324′ N, 80° 21.086′ W. Marker is in Summerton, South Carolina, in Clarendon County. Marker is on South Cantey Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Patriot Departs to Ride with Marion (approx. 0.2 miles away); Anne Custis Burgess (approx. 0.2 miles away); Elusive Francis Marion, 1780-1781 (approx. 0.2 miles away); Siege of Fort Watson (approx. 0.2 miles away); Wagon Travel (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Patriot and the Redcoat (approx. ¼ mile away); Senn's Mill (approx. ¼ mile away); St. Mark A.M.E. (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Summerton.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on February 21, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,158 times since then and 62 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on February 21, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.