Huntsville in Madison County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Temple B’nai Sholom
They affiliated in 1877 with the Union of American Hebrew Congregations, the Reform Movement. Construction of the Temple began in 1898, and it was dedicated on November 26, 1899. Chairman of the Building Committee was Isaac Schiffman. Architecture is primarily of the Romanesque Revival style, with influences of the Renaissance Revival in the west front gable. The Temple was designed by architect R. H. Hunt of Chattanooga. Extensive restoration was completed in 1994. Temple B'nai Sholom is the oldest synagogue in Alabama in continuous use.
Erected 1997 by Alabama Historical Association.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
Location. 34° 43.963′ N, 86° 34.999′ W. Marker is in Huntsville, Alabama, in Madison County. Marker is at the intersection of Lincoln Street Southeast and Clinton Avenue East, on the right when Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 103 Lincoln Street Southeast, Huntsville AL 35801, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Central Presbyterian Church (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Andrew Jackson (about 500 feet away); Methodism brought into area 1807 First United Methodist Church (about 500 feet away); Old Town Historic District (about 600 feet away); Site of Huntsville Female College (about 600 feet away); Randolph Street Church Of Christ (about 600 feet away); Calhoun House (about 700 feet away); The Church Of The Nativity, Episcopal (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Huntsville.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on February 23, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 777 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 23, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.