Jackson in Amador County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Sesquicentennial Court House Site
Voters on July 17, 1854, selected Jackson as the county seat of the new County of Amador, born that June 14 after a spirited election. Fulfilling their promise, the Jackson town trustees, at no county expense, financed construction of the first court house at this site. By year’s end, a 2-story wooden court house stood here. You see its sketch nearby.
In the “great fire” of August, 1862, the first court house and much of Jackson were destroyed. County Judge Marion Gordon urged supervisors to rebuild. By January, 1864, the county had a new, 2-story brick court house standing here.
In 1893 the county out-grew the court house, and erected a matching, 2-story brick hall of records next to it. A catwalk connected the two. Jail prisoners exercised in intervening ground. When more room was needed, the county filled in the space between the two buildings.
By the 1930s, the two buildings had become one. But supervisors decided the 19th century style needed modernizing. By 1940 the art deco façade you see was the result. Thus, a 1940 skin covers a 1864 court house, 1893 hall of records, and 20th century fill-in.
Since the beginning of the county in 1854 its citizens have sought justice and upheld law in its court houses here. We, therefore, in Amador County’s Sesquicentennial year, rededicate this site and pray this historic court house be preserved and be used by its people.
Barney Noël, Grand President
Native Sons of the Golden West
Amador Parlor #17
Excelsior Parlor #31
Ione Parlor #33
In cooperation with the
Amador County Sesquicentennial Committee
Erected 2004 by Native Sons of the Golden West and Amador County Sesquicentennial Committee.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Government & Politics. In addition, it is included in the Art Deco, and the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West series lists. A significant historical month for this entry is January 1864.
Location. 38° 20.962′ N, 120° 46.395′ W. Marker is in Jackson, California, in Amador County. Marker can be reached from Summit Street near Court Street, on the right when traveling north. Marker is mounted in the grass in front of the Old County Courthouse. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 108 Court Street, Jackson CA 95642, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least In Memoriam: The '49ers (here, next to this marker); The Court House Well (here, next to this marker); Constitution Saloon (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Constitution Saloon (a few steps from this marker); Law Office (within shouting distance of this marker); Excelsior Parlor 31 (within shouting distance of this marker); S. Harris Clothing Store (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Steckler's Building (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jackson.
More about this marker. The court house building is located at the intersection of Court and Summit Streets.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 26, 2020. It was originally submitted on February 24, 2010, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona. This page has been viewed 1,177 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on February 24, 2010, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona. 7, 8. submitted on May 6, 2016, by James King of San Miguel, California.