Fresno in Fresno County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Fresno County Courthouse
This plaque commemorates the 100th anniversary of the move from the gold mining foothill community to the new railroad town on the valley plains.
E Clampus Vitus
September 28, 1974
Erected 1974. (Marker Number 18.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Government & Politics • Notable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the E Clampus Vitus series list.
Location. 36° 44.15′ N, 119° 47.383′ W. Marker is in Fresno, California, in Fresno County. Marker is on Van Ness Avenue 0.2 miles from Tulare Street, on the right when traveling west. Marker is located in the first of 5 landscaped planters Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1100 Van Ness Avenue, Fresno CA 93721, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. (within shouting distance of this marker); Lao Hmong American War Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); William Saroyan (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fresno (about 400 feet away); Purple Heart Memorial (about 400 feet away); Honoring the Ex-Braceros and Their Contributions (about 400 feet away); Via Liberation (about 500 feet away); David of Sassoon (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fresno.
More about this marker. The marker is located in Courthouse Park. There are several memorials erected in Courthouse Park including the Fresno Peace Officers Memorial, Benito Juarez statue, Chester Rowell, Hmong Memorial, Fresno Memorial, David of Sasoon, Purple Heart Memorial and more.
Regarding Fresno County Courthouse. The rough board structures lasted just over a year. The first permanent 3 story courthouse was completed in 1875. In 1895 a fire destroyed the copper dome of the courthouse and a more modest dome replaced the original. In the early 1960's, it was determined that the structure was not "earthquake safe" and was ordered torn down. Well, it took demolition crews several days longer than they expected to tear down the old building, it seemed like the old courthouse was more than strong enough to stand up to an earthquake, but progress had its way and an 8 story replacement was completed in 1966.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 31, 2019. It was originally submitted on February 24, 2010, by Lester J Letson of Fresno, California. This page has been viewed 1,745 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on February 24, 2010, by Lester J Letson of Fresno, California. 2. submitted on January 20, 2019, by Mandy Kirby of Clovis, California. 3, 4, 5. submitted on February 24, 2010, by Lester J Letson of Fresno, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.