Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lancaster in Lancaster County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

The Courthouse Lancaster County / John Simpson

 
 
The Courthouse Lancaster County Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Michael Sean Nix, October 28, 2009
1. The Courthouse Lancaster County Marker
Inscription.  
[Front]:
The Courthouse Lancaster County
Built in 1825-1828. Designed by Robert Mills of Charleston, South Carolina, America's first native born, professionally trained architect, State Civil and Military Engineer and designer of the Washington Monument.

[Reverse]:
John Simpson
John Simpson in 1792 gave a courthouse site to the people of the region known as Lancaster County (1785-1798), Lancaster District (1798-1868), and Lancaster County since 1868. Three courthouses have occupied the site: a log house (1795-1800), a frame building (1800-1828), and the present structure.
 
Erected 1957 by Waxhaw Chapter - Daughters of the American Revolution. (Marker Number 29-4.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Government & PoliticsNotable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR), and the National Historic Landmarks series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1792.
 
Location. 34° 43.218′ 
The Courthouse Lancaster County / John Simpson Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Michael Sean Nix, March 6, 2010
2. The Courthouse Lancaster County / John Simpson Marker
Reverse side
Click or scan to see
this page online
N, 80° 46.251′ W. Marker is in Lancaster, South Carolina, in Lancaster County. Marker is at the intersection of South Main Street and West Dunlap Street, on the right when traveling south on South Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lancaster SC 29720, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lancaster County Confederate Monument (a few steps from this marker); Thomas H Davis (within shouting distance of this marker); Lancaster County Law Enforcement Officers Memorial (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Leroy Springs House (about 700 feet away); The Springs Block (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Jail / Robert Mills (approx. 0.2 miles away); Franklin Academy / Oldest Continuous Public School Site in Lancaster County (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lancaster (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lancasterville Presbyterian Church (approx. Ό mile away); Lancaster Normal and Industrial Institute (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lancaster.
 
Also see . . .  South Carolina Department of Archives and History. (Submitted on October 29, 2009, by Michael Sean Nix of Spartanburg, South Carolina.)
 
Additional commentary.
1. National Register of Historic Places
Lancaster County Courthouse *** (added 1971 - Building - #71000788)
   
The Courthouse Lancaster County / John Simpson Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Scott, March 21, 2016
3. The Courthouse Lancaster County / John Simpson Marker
— Submitted March 9, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.
 
The Courthouse image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Michael Sean Nix, October 28, 2009
4. The Courthouse
At the time of this photo, the courthouse was undergoing restoration.
The Courthouse image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Michael Sean Nix, October 28, 2009
5. The Courthouse
The Courthouse image. Click for full size.
South Carolina Department of Archives and History
6. The Courthouse
The Courthouse Lancaster County / John Simpson Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Scott, March 21, 2016
7. The Courthouse Lancaster County / John Simpson Marker
Lancaster County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Scott, March 21, 2016
8. Lancaster County Courthouse
The Courthouse Lancaster County / John Simpson Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Scott, March 21, 2016
9. The Courthouse Lancaster County / John Simpson Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 29, 2009, by Michael Sean Nix of Spartanburg, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,099 times since then and 27 times this year. Last updated on March 6, 2010, by Michael Sean Nix of Spartanburg, South Carolina. Photos:   1. submitted on October 29, 2009, by Michael Sean Nix of Spartanburg, South Carolina.   2. submitted on March 6, 2010, by Michael Sean Nix of Spartanburg, South Carolina.   3. submitted on May 31, 2016, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.   4, 5, 6. submitted on October 29, 2009, by Michael Sean Nix of Spartanburg, South Carolina.   7, 8, 9. submitted on May 31, 2016, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=28254

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Aug. 12, 2022