Upper Merion Township in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Commander in Chief’s Guards
An Elite Security Force
— Valley Forge National Historical Park —
< Sidebar: > In General Orders issued from Headquarters in Cambridge on March 11, 1776 Washington stated he wanted men “for their sobriety, honesty, and good behaviour; he wishes them to be from five feet, eight inches high, to five feet, ten inches; handsomely and well made, and as there is nothing in his eyes more desirable, than Clealiness in a Soldier, he desires that particular attention may be made, in the choice of such men, as are neat, and spruce.”
Erected by Valley Forge National Historical Park.
Topics. This historical marker War, US Revolutionary. A significant historical month for this entry is March 1873.
Location. 40° 6.105′ N, 75° 27.584′ W. Marker is in Upper Merion Township, Pennsylvania, in Montgomery County. Marker is on Valley Forge Road (Pennsylvania Route 23), on the left when traveling east. Marker is on the tour road in Valley Forge National Historical Park at stop 5, Washington’s Headquarters. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: King of Prussia PA 19406, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Remembering Valley Forge (within shouting distance of this marker); Headquarters Complex (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Village of Valley Forge (about 300 feet away); American Icon (about 400 feet away); North of the River (about 400 feet away); Did You Know? (about 400 feet away); Why Valley Forge? (about 400 feet away); Washington’s Headquarters (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Upper Merion Township.
More about this marker. The background of the marker features a picture of three members of Washington’s life guards in front of the soldier huts. The bottom left of the marker contains a picture of “The Banner of the Guard. Copyright Alexandria-Washington Lodge No. 22 A, F, & A. M. Photography by Arthur W. Pierson.” It has a caption of “When Baron de Steuben arrived in February 1778, the 47 privates in the Guard were all Virginians. At Steuben’s request 100 additional soldiers from states other than Virginia were annexed to the guard. Under Steuben’s instruction these soldiers would serve as a model company for drilling the entire army.”
Also see . . . Valley Forge National Historical Park. National Park Service website. (Submitted on March 21, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.)
Credits. This page was last revised on January 4, 2021. It was originally submitted on March 21, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,094 times since then and 48 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on March 21, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.