Courtland in Lawrence County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
The African ~ American Experience
African~Americans played a very significant role in the early history of Courtland. Most came as slaves from the older southern states to help clear the land, to plant crops of cotton and corn, and to serve as household domestics. President Thomas Jefferson’s great~grandson, William S. Bankhead, brought his personal servant and valet, Jupiter, from Monticello when he settled near Courtland in the 1840s. Skilled slave craftsmen also assisted in constructing many Courtland buildings before the Civil War. After emancipation, most African~Americans earned their livelihood as tenants and small farmers.
Before being officially denied political participation by the state constitution of 1901, Courtland’s African~American community produced the most successful local Republican party organization in North Alabama, on occasion uniting with area whites to create a biracial government. H. H. Stewart, a graduate of Williams College (Mass.), was an outstanding educational and political leader of the Courtland black community during this period. In the early 20th century, many Courtland area
Erected 1994 by the Courtland Historical Foundation and the Town of Courtland.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Government & Politics. A significant historical year for this entry is 1901.
Location. 34° 40.013′ N, 87° 18.651′ W. Marker is in Courtland, Alabama, in Lawrence County. Located backside of Square Park in downtown Courtland, facing Park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Courtland AL 35618, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Town of Courtland / Early Settlers (here, next to this marker); Courtland's Early Architecture (within shouting distance of this marker); The Red Rovers / Red Rovers Roster (within shouting distance of this marker); A Cotton Kingdom (within shouting distance of this marker); Early Roads / One of the South's First Railroads 1832 (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); American Legion - Post 58 (about 400 feet away); Harris-Simpson Home (about 700 feet away); Courtland Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Courtland.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on March 23, 2010, by Sandra Hughes Tidwell of Killen, Alabama, USA. This page has been viewed 1,634 times since then and 147 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 23, 2010, by Sandra Hughes Tidwell of Killen, Alabama, USA. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.