Marion in Marion County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Marion County Courthouse
This is Marion County's fourth courthouse and the second at this site. The cornerstone was laid on July 4, 1884. Costing $115,000, it was completed in 1885 by contractors Leffler and Bland. In 1973 the courthouse was placed on the National Register of Historic Places. In 1975 the interior was remodeled at a cost of over $900,000.
Erected 1984 by The Marion County Commissioners, the Marion County Historical Society, and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 6-51.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Government & Politics • Notable Buildings • Political Subdivisions. In addition, it is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection series list. A significant historical month for this entry is July 1879.
Location. 40° 35.329′ N, 83° 7.701′ W. Marker is in Marion, Ohio, in Marion County. Marker is at the intersection of Center Street (Ohio Route 95/309) and Main Street (Ohio Route 4), on the right when traveling west on Center Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 N Main Street, Marion OH 43302, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least The Underground Railroad / The Marion County Trial of Bill Anderson (within shouting distance of this marker); Norman Mattoon Thomas (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Old Marion Cemetery (approx. 0.2 miles away); Cummins Home (approx. 0.3 miles away); Jacob's Well (approx. half a mile away); Marion Steam Shovel (approx. 0.7 miles away); NASA’s Crawler-Transporter Tread Shoe (approx. 1.1 miles away); Harding Memorial (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marion.
Also see . . .
1. Marion County Courthouse. (Submitted on March 25, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Marion County Historical Society. (Submitted on March 25, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on March 25, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 977 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 25, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Distance photo of marker. • Can you help?