Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Macon in Bibb County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Mulberry Street Methodist Church

 
 
Mulberry Street Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, November 8, 2009
1. Mulberry Street Methodist Church Marker
Inscription.  This church, organized in 1826, is on land deeded to it by the Georgia Legislature in the same year. In 1828, the first church building in Macon was erected on this site. The first appointed pastor was Thomas Darley, who had been ordained by Bishop Francis Asbury.

Because the Georgia Conference was organized on this site in 1831 the church is known as the Mother Church of Georgia Methodism. Originally known as the Macon Church, the name was changed in 1847, to Mulberry Street Church. The Reverend G.N.N. McDonnell founded the pioneer Women’s Missionary Society in South Georgia on this site in 1878.

The last meeting of the South Georgia Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, was held here in 1939 and was immediately followed by the first meeting of the South Georgia Conference of the Methodist Church. In 1968, the first meeting after union with Evangelical United Brethren was held here.

Former pastors elevated to the Episcopacy include George Foster Pierce, Oscar Penn Fitzgerald, Joseph Stanton Key, William Newman Ainsworth, Frank Lewis Robertson and Charles Welbourne Hancock.
 
Erected
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
1992 by Georgia Department of Natural Resources. (Marker Number 011-23.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Francis Asbury, Traveling Methodist Preacher, and the Georgia Historical Society series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1826.
 
Location. 32° 50.346′ N, 83° 37.771′ W. Marker is in Macon, Georgia, in Bibb County. Marker is at the intersection of Mulberry Street and 1st Street, on the right when traveling west on Mulberry Street. The marker stands in front of the church. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 719 Mulberry Street, Macon GA 31201, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Mulberry Street Methodist Church (within shouting distance of this marker); The March to the Sea (within shouting distance of this marker); Macon Civil War Era Churches (within shouting distance of this marker); The First Presbyterian Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Library Ballroom / College Discotheque (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Bibb County (about 600 feet away); M. W. Grand Lodge of Georgia (about 600 feet away); Hardeman Building (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Macon.
 
Mulberry Street Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
2. Mulberry Street Methodist Church Marker
Marker reverse, with the same text as the front, looking out onto Mulberry Street.
Mulberry Street Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. Makali Bruton, November 12, 2023
3. Mulberry Street Methodist Church Marker
Mulberry Street Methodist Church and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, November 8, 2009
4. Mulberry Street Methodist Church and Marker
Mulberry Street Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. Makali Bruton, November 12, 2023
5. Mulberry Street Methodist Church Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 24, 2023. It was originally submitted on December 11, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,428 times since then and 8 times this year. Last updated on March 28, 2010, by James Barry Swindle of Jacksonville, Florida. Photos:   1. submitted on December 11, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.   2. submitted on November 3, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Accra, Ghana.   3. submitted on November 24, 2023, by J. Makali Bruton of Accra, Ghana.   4. submitted on December 11, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.   5. submitted on November 24, 2023, by J. Makali Bruton of Accra, Ghana. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=29210

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 26, 2024