“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Middlebury in New Haven County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)

Lake Quassapaug Station

— Town of Middlebury Greenway 2005 —

Lake Quassapaug Station Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Michael Herrick, April 2, 2010
1. Lake Quassapaug Station Marker
Inscription.  The trolley bed was located where we now have the Greenway Trail.
The picture was taken in 1910. it was common for trolley companies to build and operate recreation facilities to provide a passenger base for the line. The Amusement Park was such a place. During the era, amusements consisted of fishing, bowling, billiards, dancing, and swings. Patrons also were able to purchase a ticket for a steamboat ride around the lake.
In the area that is now the Little League complex, a turning loop was located. This allowed the trolley cars to reverse direction without going to the end of the line.
The trolley line extended to Woodbury and Hotchkissville.
Erected 2005 by Town of Middlebury.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: EntertainmentRailroads & Streetcars. A significant historical year for this entry is 1910.
Location. 41° 31.511′ N, 73° 9.102′ W. Marker is in Middlebury, Connecticut, in New Haven County. Marker is at the intersection of Middlebury Road (Connecticut Route 64) and Christian Road, on the left when
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
traveling west on Middlebury Road. Located next to the Little League fields, across from the entrance to Lake Quassapaug Amusement Park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Middlebury CT 06762, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Trolley (approx. half a mile away); Bissel's Store, Middlebury Station (approx. 1.2 miles away); Middlebury Blacksmith Shop (approx. 1.3 miles away); Middlebury Veterans Memorial (approx. 1˝ miles away); Middlebury (approx. 1˝ miles away); Julius and Augusta Bronson Farm (approx. 1˝ miles away); Rochambeau Route 1781 – 82 (approx. 1.8 miles away); The Middlebury Fire House (approx. 2˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Middlebury.
Regarding Lake Quassapaug Station. Quassy, which was once called Lake Quassapaug Amusement Park, sits on a beautiful lake in Middlebury, Connecticut. Quassy was not always the amusement park it is today. Native Americans once populated this large area. The Native Americans translated Lake Quassapaug to mean "Big Pond" or "Big Rock".

In colonial days King George (1690-1770) granted one Abel Wheeler control of the lake. During this time a fisherman could rent a boat and leave his horse in a stall with plenty of hay for as little as 50˘ a day. Fisherman enjoyed the lake because they claimed that they caught fish by the buckets
Lake Quassapaug Station Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Michael Herrick, April 2, 2010
2. Lake Quassapaug Station Marker

By 1888, a man named Mr. Richards opened a Grove House. Clambakes became his specialty and only non-alcoholic drinks were sold.

In 1905, the sea wall was put in and the Wallace Hotel replaced Mr. Richard's Grove House. By 1908, a trolley line was put through Middlebury and Lake Quassapaug became a summer resort.

In 1937, three Waterbury businessmen, John Frantzis, Mike Leon, and George Terezakis, bought the property and formed Quassy. They soon added a picnic area, paddle boats and a carousel. Within the next few years a hot dog stand, a roller rink and a tearoom were added.

It was after World War II that Quassy established itself as an amusement park. Beginning in the late 1970s, new rides were added every year. The park has also designed its own clambake facilities and caters to business and organizational outings from 100 to 10,000.

Today, Quassy Amusement Park remains a unique family-oriented facility. We offer swimming, picnicking, a catering service, a huge family Redemption Arcade, "Saturation Station," and of course, more than 20 rides. Every year families can count on new attractions, new rides, and most importantly, quality service.
Also see . . .  Quassy Amusement Park. (Submitted on April 4, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
Quassy Amusement Park Entrance image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Michael Herrick, April 2, 2010
3. Quassy Amusement Park Entrance
Quassy Amusement Park Ticket Booth image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Michael Herrick, April 2, 2010
4. Quassy Amusement Park Ticket Booth
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 4, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 2,077 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 4, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 14, 2024