Findlay in Hancock County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Riverside Park / Old Mill Stream
One of the earliest and largest amusement parks in Northwest Ohio dedicated in 1906 on site of old waterworks. Trains brought visitors from as far away as Cleveland. 1907: Dance Pavilion and 2,000 seat auditorium built. 1908: Bathing beach made in old reservoir. 1925: Green Mill Dance Hall built on side near dam. Big name bands highlight entertainment. 1936: Shelters, band shell, and pool bath house made from bricks of old waterworks. 1978: Renovation of waterfront begins new era.
[East Side of Marker] :"Old Mill Stream"
Blanchard River Valley was home for Findlay native Tell Taylor who wrote ballad "Down by the Old Mill Stream" in 1908. Settlers established many saw and grist mills. 1881: Findlay Ice Company cuts 3,000 tons of river ice which is stored in two ice houses. 1888: Construction begins on Riverside dam, reservoir, and waterworks east of Findlay. 1905: Seven foot dam built near (Liberty Street) to elevate water level for boating. 1907: Seventy foot, 250-passenger steamer makes first trip from Main Street to Riverside Park. 1980: Old Mill Stream
Erected 1987 by Historic Preservation Guild of Hancock County, Hancock Park District, and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 15-32.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Places. In addition, it is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1906.
Location. 41° 2.552′ N, 83° 37.916′ W. Marker is in Findlay, Ohio, in Hancock County. Marker is at the intersection of Clinton Court and McManness Avenue, on the left when traveling east on Clinton Court. This historical marker is located on the north side of the Blanchard River, in Riverside Park, just outside of the southwest corner of the park's swimming pool enclosure, just inside the entrance to the parking lot of the Riverside Landings Park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Findlay OH 45840, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Hull's Army (within shouting distance of this marker); Allen P. Dudley Bandshell (within shouting distance of this marker); Oesterlen Well Site / Old Mill Stream Fairgrounds (approx. half a mile away); The Glass Industry of Findlay, Ohio (approx. 0.6 miles away); First School Building (approx. 0.8 miles away); Elijah & Mellie Jones House (approx. 0.8 miles away); Veterans Memorial Flagpole (approx. 0.9 miles away); Site of Fort Findlay (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Findlay.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 21, 2018. It was originally submitted on April 7, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,706 times since then and 64 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 7, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.