Milam in Sabine County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
John C. Hale
Erected 2006 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13641.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Settlements & Settlers • War, Texas Independence. A significant historical month for this entry is April 1802.
Location. 31° 25.962′ N, 93° 50.766′ W. Marker is in Milam, Texas, in Sabine County. Marker is on State Highway Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Milam TX 75959, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Milam Masonic Institute (here, next to this marker); The Old San Antonio Road (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Milam (about 400 feet away); Kings Highway (about 400 feet away); a different marker also named Milam (about 400 feet away); Bethany Baptist Church (about 600 feet away); C.A. Nethery & Sons General Merchandise (approx. 0.2 miles away); Las Boregas Camp Site (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Milam.
Regarding John C. Hale. As noted on Handbook of Texas Online:
“John C. Hale, early settler and soldier in the Texas revolution, was born on April 3, 1806, in Virginia; he came to Texas from Louisiana and settled in what became San Augustine County in the Sabine District. He was elected first lieutenant of Capt. Benjamin Franklin Bryant's Company K of Col. Sidney Sherman's Second Regiment, Texas Volunteers. He was killed in action at the battle of San Jacinto on April 21, 1836, and buried at the battlefield. Hale County is named in his honor. Hale's heirs received grants of 320 acres on May 24, 1850, 640 acres on November 8, 1851, and 640 acres on May 24, 1850.
A John K. Hale came to Texas in 1831 from Maine and also settled in the Sabine District. The two settlers were about the same age and have been confused."
Credits. This page was last revised on December 22, 2019. It was originally submitted on April 18, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,564 times since then and 84 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on April 18, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. 2. submitted on August 6, 2017, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.