Elon in Alamance County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Erected 2002 by North Carolina Office of Archives and History. (Marker Number G-52.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Education. In addition, it is included in the North Carolina Division of Archives and History series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1889.
Location. 36° 6.158′ N, 79° 30.4′ W. Marker is in Elon, North Carolina, in Alamance County. Marker is on North Williamson Avenue near West Haggard Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Elon NC 27244, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Dentzel Carousel (approx. 3.2 miles away); Battle of Alamance (approx. 3½ miles away); Pine Hill Cemetery - Veterans Memorial (approx. 3.6 miles away); North Carolina Railroad (approx. 4 miles away); Johnston Moves West (approx. 4 miles away); Norfolk & Western Caboose #518654Camp Alamance (approx. 4 miles away); Tryon’s Camp (approx. 4½ miles away).
More about this marker. Elon University is a beautiful campus. The brick walkways throughout are perfect for strolling.
Regarding Elon University. Elon College opened in 1889 with William S. Long as the founder and first president. The college was built at Mill Point, a small stop on the North Carolina Railroad. The place was also known as "Boon's Crossing."
The name Elon is the Hebrew word for "oak". The name was selected due to the old oak trees which dominated the land to be cleared for the college.
Elon College opened on September 2, 1890, as a four-year liberal arts college.
The community grew quickly around the college, and was incorporated in 1893 as Elon College. In January 1923, the main campus building was destroyed by fire along with the chapel, the library and many school records. During the reconstruction, which took about three years to complete, the campus was expanded and five new buildings were built to accommodate the growing college.
Elon College added graduate degree programs in the 1980s. A law degree program was added in 2006.The college changed its name to Elon University in 2000. At the same time, the name of the town was changed from Elon College to Elon.
Also see . . . Elon University. (Submitted on April 26, 2010, by Patrick G. Jordan of Graham, North Carolina.)
Additional keywords. Alamance, Company Shops, Burlington, Graham, William S. Long, Boones Crossing, Boons, Mill Point
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 25, 2010, by Patrick G. Jordan of Graham, North Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,798 times since then and 53 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on April 26, 2010, by Patrick G. Jordan of Graham, North Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.