Eagle Lake in Colorado County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Lakeside Sugar Refinery
The success of the railroad encouraged Dunovant to build a refining plant for this area. Lakeside Sugar Refinery, erected at this site about 1902, processed up to 1,000 tons of cane each day and produced 5,000,000 pounds of refined sugar each year. A train called the "Whangdoodle" carried cane from nearby fields to the refinery. By 1910 Lakeside Mill was one of the largest in Texas, with about 100 employees. It stimulated the local economy and attracted able businessmen, such as Rudolph Wintermann and son Oscar J. Wintermann.
After its best season in 1908-09, the sugar industry declined. A state law forbidding use of convict labor raised production costs. A tropical storm damaged the refinery, and an early freeze destroyed much of the sugar crop.
Erected 1976 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 3018.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars. A significant historical year for this entry is 1898.
Location. 29° 33.994′ N, 96° 19.877′ W. Marker is in Eagle Lake, Texas, in Colorado County. Marker is on Farm to Market Road 102 half a mile south of Carter Walker Lane, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Eagle Lake TX 77434, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Rice Culture in Colorado County (approx. 1˝ miles away); Town of Eagle Lake (approx. 1˝ miles away); Navigation of the Colorado River (approx. 3.3 miles away); Frazarville (approx. 5.4 miles away); Joseph and Rachel Rabb Newman (approx. 9.6 miles away); Alleyton Cemetery (approx. 13.4 miles away); Alleyton C.S.A. (approx. 13.4 miles away); Alleyton (approx. 13˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Eagle Lake.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 26, 2010, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. This page has been viewed 897 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 26, 2010, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.