Kalamazoo in Kalamazoo County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Lincoln's August 1856 Speech in Kalamazoo
1861 - 1865
This tablet is placed here by Sarah E. Fuller - Tent No. 8 Daughters of Union Veterans of the Civil War Dept. of Michigan.
In memory of Orcutt Post No. 79 Kalamazoo Dept. Of Mich. Grand Army of the Republic, the veterans of the Civil War.
This boulder is placed on the spot where Abraham Lincoln stood when he gave an anti-slavery address in August, 1856.
Erected by Daughters of Union Veterans of the Civil War Dept of Michigan.
Topics and series. This memorial is listed in this topic list: Government & Politics. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #16 Abraham Lincoln, and the The Grand Army of the Republic series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1861.
Location. 42° 17.405′ N, 85° 35.113′ W. Marker is in Kalamazoo, Michigan, in Kalamazoo County. Memorial can be reached from West South Street near South Rose Street, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Kalamazoo MI 49007, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Presented To The City Of Kalamazoo (a few steps from this marker); This Liberty PoleKalamazoo Vietnam War Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Lucinda Hinsdale Stone (a few steps from this marker); Kalamazoo Korean War Memorial (a few steps from this marker); 35th Anniversary (within shouting distance of this marker); U.S. Ten Inch Columbiad (within shouting distance of this marker); Kalamazoo 9/11 Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Kalamazoo.
More about this marker. Boulder is located on the south side of Bronson Park about half way between South Rose Street and St John Place. The exact spot on which Lincoln stood when he delivered his address on August 27, 1856, is somewhat uncertain.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 12, 2022. It was originally submitted on May 6, 2010, by John Desaulniers, Jr. of Mingo, Iowa. This page has been viewed 1,394 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 5, 2010, by John Desaulniers, Jr. of Mingo, Iowa. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.