Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Hamilton in Butler County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Soldiers, Sailors, and Pioneers Monument

"Victory, the Jewel of the Soul"

 
 
Soldiers, Sailors, and Pioneers Monument Marker (Side A) image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., August 2, 2009
1. Soldiers, Sailors, and Pioneers Monument Marker (Side A)
Inscription.  
Side A: Soldiers, Sailors, and Pioneers Monument
The Soldiers, Sailors, and Pioneers Monument was planned and promoted by Butler County Civil War veterans and financed by a county levy in 1899. The monument, built of Indiana Limestone, is near the center of the site of Fort Hamilton, built in 1791 and named in honor of Alexander Hamilton, Secretary of the Treasury in President George Washington's cabinet. Featured, are two large, colorful windows that recognize the contributions of Butler County women during the Civil War. Featured speaker at the July 4, 1906, dedication was Governor Andrew L. Harris, a Butler County native and Civil War veteran. His name is one of the more than 4,300 carved into the interior marble walls.

Side B: "Victory, the Jewel of the Soul"
The statue atop the monument is officially entitled "Victory, the Jewel of the Soul," but is better known as "Billy Yank," the name given the common Union soldier during the Civil War (1861-1865). The 17-foot, 3,500-pound bronze figure is the work of Rudolph Thiem, a local artist whose design was selected in national competition. The soldier's informal
"Victory, the Jewel of the Soul" Marker (Side B) image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., August 2, 2009
2. "Victory, the Jewel of the Soul" Marker (Side B)
Click or scan to see
this page online
pose represents his reaction to victory and peace at the end of the Civil War. His right foot is on an unexploded shell, while his right hand clasps his musket. His cap is uplifted in his left hand. His mouth is open as he shouts "Hurrah!" at the realization that fighting has ended. The statue was placed on the Monument in December 1904.
 
Erected 2006 by Butler County Commissioners and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 25-9.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker and monument is listed in these topic lists: Forts and CastlesPatriots & PatriotismPeace. In addition, it is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection series list. A significant historical month for this entry is July 1945.
 
Location. 39° 24.031′ N, 84° 33.891′ W. Marker is in Hamilton, Ohio, in Butler County. Marker is at the intersection of Monument Avenue and High Street (Ohio Route 129/177), on the right when traveling south on Monument Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1 S Monument Avenue, Hamilton OH 45013, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Flood Level (a few steps from this marker); Fort Hamilton (a few steps from this marker); Old Log Building (a few steps from this marker); William Dean Howells (within shouting
Soldiers, Sailors, and Pioneers Monument and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., August 2, 2009
3. Soldiers, Sailors, and Pioneers Monument and Marker
distance of this marker); a different marker also named Fort Hamilton (within shouting distance of this marker); The Old Well (within shouting distance of this marker); Grand Army of the Republic Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); A Pioneer Family (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hamilton.
 
Soldiers, Sailors, and Pioneers Monument image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., August 2, 2009
4. Soldiers, Sailors, and Pioneers Monument
Soldiers, Sailors, and Pioneers Monument image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., August 2, 2009
5. Soldiers, Sailors, and Pioneers Monument
From the High Street Bridge over the Great Miami River.
Soldiers, Sailors, and Pioneers Monument image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., August 2, 2009
6. Soldiers, Sailors, and Pioneers Monument
Looking SE across the Great Miami River.
Soldiers, Sailors, and Pioneers Monument image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., August 2, 2009
7. Soldiers, Sailors, and Pioneers Monument
Looking SE across the Great Miami River.
3-inch Parrott Rifle image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., August 2, 2009
8. 3-inch Parrott Rifle
"Victory, the Jewel of the Soul" Statue image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., August 2, 2009
9. "Victory, the Jewel of the Soul" Statue
On top of the Soldiers, Sailors, and Pioneers Monument.
Muzzle of Rifle image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., August 2, 2009
10. Muzzle of Rifle
The muzzle markings tell some of the cannon's history. This gun was produced in 1864 by West Point Foundry. It weighed 895 pounds when inspected by Richard Mason Hill. The registry number "93" has a space between the numbers not usually seen on cannon marks.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 29, 2019. It was originally submitted on May 14, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,505 times since then and 58 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10. submitted on May 14, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=30705

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Nov. 26, 2022