San Antonio in Bexar County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Alamo Low Barracks and Main Gateway
Mission San Antonio de Valero, established nearby in 1718, was relocated here in 1724. By 1762, the mission plaza was enclosed by thick stone and adobe walls. The 11x14-foot main gateway was located at this site along the south wall. In 1803 Spanish cavalry from San Carlos de Parras del Alamo, Mexico, occupied the secularized mission and built one-story (low) barracks inside the south wall on each side of the main gateway. The Alamo, as the complex came to be known, was occupied in 1835 by Mexican soldiers led by Gen. Cos. They fortified the main gateway with artillery pieces and a defensive lunette, a semi-circular enclosure with deep trenches.
In December 1835, Texas patriots captured the Alamo, but by Feb. 23, 1836, were under siege by an armed force led by Gen. Santa Anna. Couriers departed the Alamo through the main gateway during the siege. On March 6, Mexican troops breached the main gateway and re-took the Alamo. After the assault, some Mexican military observers and local residents stated that Col. James Bowie and others died in the low barracks.
The low barracks and main gateway were leveled in 1871, melding
Erected 1996 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 96.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Forts or Castles • Patriots & Patriotism • War, Texas Independence.
Location. 29° 25.532′ N, 98° 29.208′ W. Marker is in San Antonio, Texas, in Bexar County. Marker is on Alamo Plaza, on the right when traveling north. Marker is about 300 feet WSW of the Alamo chapel. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 300 Alamo Plaza, San Antonio TX 78205, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Mission San Antonio de Valero Indian Quarters (a few steps from this marker); The Alamo in 1836 (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named The Alamo in 1836 (a few steps from this marker); The Alamo / El Alamo (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named The Alamo in 1836 (within shouting distance of this marker); Founding of the Mission and Origin of Name (within shouting distance of this marker); Letter From The Alamo (within shouting distance of this marker); Adina de Zavala (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Antonio.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 13, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 15, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,501 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 15, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.