Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Raleigh in Wake County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Shaw University

 
 
Shaw University Marker image. Click for full size.
By Robert Cole, May 15, 2010
1. Shaw University Marker
Shaw University is a private liberal arts institution and historically black university specializing in social research and the liberal arts, located in Raleigh, North Carolina.
Inscription.  Founded 1865 by Baptist missionary Henry Martin Tupper. Chartered 1875; named for benefactor Elijah Shaw of Mass.
 
Erected 1996 by Division of Archives and History. (Marker Number H-32.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African AmericansChurches & ReligionEducation. In addition, it is included in the Historically Black Colleges and Universities 🎓, and the North Carolina Division of Archives and History series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1865.
 
Location. 35° 46.32′ N, 78° 38.27′ W. Marker is in Raleigh, North Carolina, in Wake County. Marker is at the intersection of East South Street and South Wilmington Street on East South Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 118 E South St, Raleigh NC 27601, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Estey Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Governor’s Palace of North Carolina (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Governor’s Palace (about 300 feet away); General Grant
Shaw University image. Click for full size.
By Robert Cole, May 15, 2010
2. Shaw University
Westward view of marker Shaw University grounds along East South Street. The new Performing Arts Center can be seen one block in the background. The university is a few blocks south of the central Raleigh downtown area.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(about 400 feet away); Leonard Medical School (about 700 feet away); James H. Young (about 800 feet away); Tupper Memorial Baptist Church (about 800 feet away); Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Raleigh.
 
Also see . . .
1. Shaw University: Official Homepage. (Submitted on June 9, 2010, by Cleo Robertson of Fort Lauderdale, Florida.)
2. Shaw University Archives & History. (Submitted on June 9, 2010, by Cleo Robertson of Fort Lauderdale, Florida.)
3. Wikipedia entry for Shaw University. (Submitted on June 9, 2010, by Cleo Robertson of Fort Lauderdale, Florida.)
4. North Carolina History Project: Shaw University. (Submitted on June 9, 2010, by Cleo Robertson of Fort Lauderdale, Florida.)
5. Historically Black American Colleges and Universities: Shaw University Profile. (Submitted on June 9, 2010, by Cleo Robertson of Fort Lauderdale, Florida.)
 
Shaw University - Estey Hall image. Click for full size.
By Robert Cole, May 15, 2010
3. Shaw University - Estey Hall
Eastward view of the marker and northern part of the university along East South Street. In 1873, Estey Hall was erected for female students, making it the first such dormitory in the U.S. on a coeducational campus. The building, originally known as "Estey Seminary," was named in honor of Jacob Estey, the largest donor to the construction project. Estey Hall is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Henry Martin Tupper image. Click for full size.
Courtesy of the Shaw University Archives
4. Henry Martin Tupper
Henry Martin Tupper, founder and first president of Shaw University (1865-1893), was honorably discharged from the Union Army after serving for three years as a private and as a chaplain. On October 10, 1865, Dr. Tupper settled in Raleigh with his bride, Mrs. Sarah B. Tupper, and in December organized the class, which was to develop into Shaw University.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 29, 2019. It was originally submitted on June 9, 2010, by Cleo Robertson of Fort Lauderdale, Florida. This page has been viewed 944 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 9, 2010, by Cleo Robertson of Fort Lauderdale, Florida. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=31719

Paid Advertisement
Jul. 24, 2021