Charleston in Charleston County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Trinity Methodist Church Original Site / William Hammett
Erected 2005 by Trinity United Methodist Church. (Marker Number 10-8.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1792.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Charleston SC 29401, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Col. William Rhett House (within shouting distance of this marker); William Rhett House (within shouting distance of this marker); William C. McElheran House (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); St. Peter's Catholic Church (about 400 feet away); A History of Courtenay Square (about 400 feet away); Jones-Howell House (about 500 feet away); Dr. Joseph Johnson House (about 600 feet away); Kahal Kadosh Beth Elohim (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Charleston.
More about this marker. This marker replaces one erected in 1970 by the Pee Dee Chapter Colonial Dames of the XVII Century.
1. Trinity's Place in Early Methodism
Methodism in America was organized officially at the “Christmas Conference” in Baltimore, Maryland, in 1784. On February 27, 1785, Francis Asbury arrived in Charleston, South Carolina, where he founded the city’s first Methodist congregation. This would become the Cumberland Street Methodist Episcopal Church with 35 white and 23 black members in 1786.
The fifth session of the South Carolina Conference began at Cumberland
Asbury already had issued pastoral appointments, and he would not consider permitting a congregation to select it’s own minister. Hammet followed Asbury from Charleston to Philadelphia, then to New York. By May, 1791, Asbury had consented to appoint Hammet as the assistant minister for Cumberland. Hammet refused the appointment and returned to Charleston.
On November 28, 1791, Hammet disavowed “Asbury Methodism” led half of the white members out of Cumberland Street Church to form a new denomination called “Primitive Methodism." He named his new congregation Trinity. Hammet gathered his followers in Charleston’s Market for services, but on
The original Trinity Primitive Methodist Church, a wooden structure, burned in the Charleston fire of 1838. It was replaced immediately by a brick building which stood until 1902 after having suffered fire, federal bombardment during the Civil War, hurricanes, and an earthquake. The last Trinity sanctuary on Hasell Street was used only 24 years by the congregation.
From the church history of Trinity United Methodist Church.
— Submitted June 13, 2010, by Michael Sean Nix of Spartanburg, South Carolina.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 12, 2019. It was originally submitted on June 13, 2010, by Michael Sean Nix of Spartanburg, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,599 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 13, 2010, by Michael Sean Nix of Spartanburg, South Carolina. 3, 4. submitted on November 22, 2011, by Sandra Hughes Tidwell of Killen, Alabama, USA. 5. submitted on June 13, 2010, by Michael Sean Nix of Spartanburg, South Carolina. 6. submitted on November 22, 2011, by Sandra Hughes Tidwell of Killen, Alabama, USA. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.