Mount Pleasant in Charleston County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
General William Moultrie / Moultrie Schools
The Moultrie Schools were named in honor of General William Moultrie, the highest ranking S.C. officer during the Revolutionary War and hero of the 1776 Battle of Fort Sullivan, which was renamed Fort Moultrie. He fought in the S.C. Militia during the 1761 Cherokee Wars, and served in the Royal Assembly and first Provincial Congress. He was elected Lieutenant Governor and was Governor twice. While Governor, he relocated the capital from Charleston to Columbia and established the county system and county court system. Moultrie designed the first S.C. state flag during the American Revolution.
General William Moultrie High School, originally on Pitt Street, relocated here in 1944. In 1973, students moved into the new Wando High School on Whipple Road. The old high school became Moultrie Middle School. This facility was demolished in 2007 and the new building completed in 2009. This is the third Moultrie School to be built on this site.
Location. 32° 47.476′ N, 79° 52.36′ Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Mount Pleasant SC 29464, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Jasper Green/ Sergeant William Jasper (a few steps from this marker); The King's Highway / Coleman Boulevard (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); "The Kings Highway" (about 500 feet away); Etiwan Masonic Lodge (approx. ¼ mile away); St. Andrew's Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); Laing School (approx. 0.3 miles away); Mount Pleasant Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); Pitt Street Merchants (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mount Pleasant.
Categories. • Education • Government & Politics • War, US Revolutionary •
More. Search the internet for General William Moultrie / Moultrie Schools.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 20, 2019. This page originally submitted on June 14, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 819 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 14, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 4. submitted on August 17, 2010. 5. submitted on February 17, 2019, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.