Sullivans Island in Charleston County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Harbor Defense 1809-1860
Fort Moultrie III and the War of 1812
Troubles with Britain caused Congress in 1807 to authorize a "second system" of forts on the Atlantic coast to guard harbors, river outlets, and seaports. Fort Moultrie III, completed in 1909, protected Charleston harbor.
Forts such as Moultrie were designed to defend against wooden sailing vessels armed with smoothbore cannon.
The fort had a hot shot furnace for heating solid shot. A red hot cannonball lodged in a ship's timbers could start a disastrous fire.
After the War of 1812, America updated its coastal forts. In the 1830s and 40s we modified Fort Moultrie's parapet, bricked up the embrasures, and replaced its old cannon with 18-, 24-, and 32-pounder cast iron guns. At that time the entire fort looked about as this northwest bastion does now.
(Diagram at the bottom lists the ranges of the various guns, but the text has faded)
Topics. This historical Forts and Castles • War of 1812. A significant historical year for this entry is 1812.
Location. 32° 45.574′ N, 79° 51.493′ W. Marker is on Sullivans Island, South Carolina, in Charleston County. Marker can be reached from Middle Street, on the right when traveling east. Located at stop five of the tour of Fort Moultrie National Monument. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Sullivans Island SC 29482, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Enlisted Men's Barracks (here, next to this marker); Powder Magazine (a few steps from this marker); Traverse c.1820 (a few steps from this marker); Building Forts (within shouting distance of this marker); Defending Charleston 1861-1865 (within shouting distance of this marker); Northwest Bastionet (within shouting distance of this marker); Move a 50,000 pound Rodman Gun (within shouting distance of this marker); Oceola / Patapsco Dead (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sullivans Island.
Also see . . . Fort Moultrie. National Park Service site. (Submitted on June 17, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 17, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 613 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on June 17, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 2. submitted on August 22, 2013, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. 3, 4. submitted on June 17, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.