Ridgefield in Fairfield County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
The Village in the 1900s
— The Museum in the Streets —
The International Order Of Odd Fellows, Pilgrim Lodge No. 45 was established in Ridgefield in 1847, meeting in the Masonic Hall until 1895 when the structure was destroyed in the Great Fire. The Odd Fellows built their own building in 1928 and it soon became a popular meeting place. During the 1930s and 40s many dances and other activities were held there. In 1956 the Lodge sold the building and moved to a carriage house on King Lane where it is now part of the Methodist Church. The original building now houses retail businesses.
Lucius H. Biglow built the Tudor style structure in 1913. Known as the Telephone Building, it housed not only the telephone company but also a bakery, a plumbing and electrical shop, a real-estate office and a dry goods store. It was bought by the Amatuzzi Family in the 1970s. The Amatuzzi family is remembered for their generosity, having contributed thousands of pizzas to students, sports teams, scouts, senior citizens and many other organizations.
Erected by The Museum in the Streets®. (Marker Number 10.)
Topics and series. This historical Fraternal or Sororal Organizations • Industry & Commerce. In addition, it is included in the The Museum in the Streets®: Ridgefield, Connecticut series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1847.
Location. 41° 16.95′ N, 73° 29.916′ W. Marker is in Ridgefield, Connecticut, in Fairfield County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (Connecticut Route 35) and Bailey Avenue, on the right when traveling south on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Ridgefield CT 06877, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Main Street in the Late 1800s (within shouting distance of this marker); Ballard Park (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Smith Tavern – A Colonial Meeting Place (about 300 feet away); Ridgefield, Connecticut (about 300 feet away); a different marker also named Ridgefield (about 400 feet away); A Much-Loved Old Church and a Watering Trough for Horses (about 400 feet away); The Great Fire of 1895 (about 400 feet away); The Livery Stable and the First Catholic Church (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ridgefield.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Take the Museum in the Streets Walking Tour in Ridgefield, Connecticut.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 25, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 17, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 766 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 17, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.