Ridgefield in Fairfield County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
The Livery Stable and the First Catholic Church
— The Museum in the Streets —
Whitlock's Livery, later the Sperry Livery stable, was across the street from the firehouse. Whitlock ran a stage to the Branchville station before the branch line was built in 1870. The livery stable also boarded horses, including those used by the fire department. One of Sperry's employees remembered weekends when a party coming from the station to one of the "summer cottages" would have from 12 to 20 trunks delivered by their drivers. Sperry's was replaced by Young's Feed Store.
In 1867 a small frame building was purchased for $975 for use as a Catholic Church. A year later the building was destroyed by fire when the candlestick factory next door burned down. By 1879 a small church was built on the property and was added onto in 1888. In 1904 the building was moved back from the street to its present site. A few of the pointed lancet windows remain on the west façade. John Rockwell and his brother Francis owned the candlestick factory located first in a building that became the Bailey Inn on Main Street, and later on Catoonah Street. Other businesses included the largest hat manufactory in town, a harness shop and
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1870.
Location. 41° 16.889′ N, 73° 29.965′ W. Marker is in Ridgefield, Connecticut, in Fairfield County. Marker is at the intersection of Catoonah Street and Main Street (Connecticut Route 35), on the left when traveling east on Catoonah Street. Located next to the fire house, in front of the AT&T Office building. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 10 Catoonah Street, Ridgefield CT 06877, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Out of the Ashes … (within shouting distance of this marker); A Much-Loved Old Church and a Watering Trough for Horses (within shouting distance of this marker); The Great Fire of 1895 (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Village Center in the Early 1900s (about 300 feet away); The Museum in the Streets (about 300 feet away); More of the Great Fire (about 400 feet away); The Village in the 1900s (about 400 feet away); Bissell's – Destroyed by Two Conflagrations (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ridgefield.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Take the Museum in the Streets Walking Tour in Ridgefield, Connecticut.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 20, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 660 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 20, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.