Corpus Christi in Nueces County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Nueces County Courthouse of 1914
Under the administration of county Judge Walter F. Timon (1872-1952), this neoclassical structure was completed in 1914 at a cost of $250,000. The architect, Harvey L. Page (1859-1934) OF Washington D.C., designed the International and Great Northern Railroad station in San Antonio and Laguna Gloria in Austin, home of former Corpus Christi resident Clara Driscoll.
Additions were made to the buildings in the 1930's and 1960's. Courtrooms and offices were on the first four floors. The top two floors, separated from the rest of the building by an air space to eliminate noise, served as the jail. In addition to government offices, apartments were provided until the 1950's for the jailer and other county officials. During storms which almost leveled the city, hundreds of refugees sought shelter
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark.
Entered in the National Register of Historic Places.
Erected 1976. (Marker Number 3621.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Government & Politics • Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1853.
Location. 27° 48.109′ N, 97° 23.729′ W. Marker is in Corpus Christi, Texas, in Nueces County. Marker is on North Mesquite Street south of Belden Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Corpus Christi TX 78401, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Artesian Park and Sulphur Well (approx. 0.2 miles away); George Owens (approx. 0.2 miles away); Thomas S. Parker (approx. ¼ mile away); Old Bayview Mesquite (approx. ¼ mile away); Old Bayview Cemetery (approx. ¼ mile away); William Henderson Maltby (approx. ¼ mile away); Explosion of the Steamship Dayton (approx. ¼ mile away); Matthew Nolan (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Corpus Christi.
More about this marker. The courthouse is unoccupied and fenced off.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 21, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,039 times since then and 46 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 21, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.