Near Rotterdam Junction in Schenectady County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Jan Mabee House
Occupied for 3 Centuries
The Farmstead Features
2 Distinct Styles
Of Dutch Architecture
Erected by Schenectady County Historical Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1705.
Location. 42° 51.9′ N, 74° 1.975′ W. Marker is near Rotterdam Junction, New York, in Schenectady County. Marker is on Main Street (New York State Route 5S), on the right when traveling west. Marker is beside the road along the property of the Mabee Farm. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1080 Main Street, Rotterdam Junction NY 12150, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Jan Mabee House (within shouting distance of this marker); Alan Fairbanks (approx. 0.8 miles away); Pre-Columbian Cemetery (approx. 1˝ miles away); Plotter Kill Aqueduct (approx. 1.6 miles away); Canal Aqueduct (approx. 1.7 miles away); Josias Swart Homestead Vedder Tavern (approx. 1.9 miles away); Site of a Tavern (approx. 2.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Rotterdam Junction.
More about this marker. Apparently the Jan Mabie House, 1670 marker was replaced with the current "Jan Mabee House" marker in order to update the spelling of the name, and the construction date of the house.
Regarding Jan Mabee House. The NYS marker states the Mabee home was built in 1670, however in November of 2007 a team of Dendrochronologists from the Cornell University Tree Ring Laboratory (Dendrochronology: a scientific technique for tree ring dating) took samples from the Mabee farm and later it was determined the Mabee farm house was built in 1705.
Built in 1705, the original one room house, with a very steep pitched roof, has a dutch style jambless fireplace, an area for a box bed, huge ceiling beams, and wide plank floors. Another room was added 1760 to accommodate Jan Mabee's growing family.
This 300+ year old Dutch farm is set along the beautiful banks of the Mohawk River on Route 5S in Rotterdam Junction, which is just to the west of Schenectady, NY.
The oldest house still standing in the Mohawk Valley, the Mabee Farm Historic Site was originally settled by Daniel Janse Van Antwerpen, who established it as a fur trading post to meet Native American traders before they reached Schenectady. He received
George E. Franchere, the last family owner, gave the Mabee Farm to the Schenectady County Historical Society in 1993, along with furnishings, heirlooms, and family papers, many of which are on display.
The Schenectady County Historical Society is continuing to develop the farm site as a museum and educational center for the community and holds Colonial events, workshops, tours and educational programs which reflect the historical significance of this early Mohawk River farmstead.
Also see . . .
1. Mabee Farm Historic Site. (Submitted on February 3, 2008, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York.)
2. The Onrust. (Submitted on May 18, 2008, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York.)
3. Building the Onrust. (Submitted on June 8, 2009, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York.)
Additional keywords. Maybe Farm Mabie Farm Mabee Farm Historic Site Schenectady County Historical Society Dutch Barn Oldest House in the Mohawk Valley Oldest farm in the Mohawk Valley Onrust Bateau
Credits. This page was last revised on May 27, 2020. It was originally submitted on February 3, 2008, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. This page has been viewed 3,761 times since then and 26 times this year. Last updated on June 23, 2010, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 27, 2020, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. 4, 5. submitted on February 3, 2008, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. 6. submitted on June 15, 2008, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. 7. submitted on May 3, 2008, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. 8, 9, 10, 11. submitted on May 18, 2008, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. 12, 13. submitted on July 24, 2011, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.