Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Newtown in Bucks County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

White Hall

Newtown Heritage Walk No. 4

 
 
Partial White Hall Marker [needs replaced] image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., October 15, 2009
1. Partial White Hall Marker [needs replaced]
Inscription.  
The White Hall Hotel is located at 127 South State Street. Squire Isaac Hicks, father of Edward Hicks, lived in a frame house on this lot until 1836. During the Revolutionary War, the house was used as a store and was for a time occupied by the Quartermaster Department. During this period, the famous Bucks County outlaws, the Doan Brothers, raided the place, shot the watchman, and carried off some of the supplies.

In 1852, the White Hall, then called Hallowell's Hotel, received its first liquor license under the proprietorship of Daniel Yerkes Harmon. Community pressure and petitions from Newtown residents forced the Court to withold the license until 1858, when it was finally granted to Amos Buckman, then the proprietor. There were various owners up to 1891, when Sipron C. Keith bought the White Hall. Mr. Keith made extensive improvements and remodeled the entire structure. In 1923, the Chesner family purchased the inn and continued to operate it up until the 1970s. In 1979, the inn was gutted by fire and was restored to its original facade in the 1980s. It has since been converted into commercial/retail and office space.
 
Erected
White Hall Photo on Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., October 15, 2009
2. White Hall Photo on Marker
[Caption reads] View of the White Hall Hotel, circa 1900.
2007 by Capital Franchise Group, the Casey Family, and Newtown Historical Association.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: EntertainmentIndustry & CommerceWar, US Revolutionary.
 
Location. 40° 13.607′ N, 74° 56.216′ W. Marker is in Newtown, Pennsylvania, in Bucks County. Marker is at the intersection of State Street and Penn Street, on the right when traveling south on State Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 127 S State Street, Newtown PA 18940, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Whitehall (a few steps from this marker); Bird in Hand (within shouting distance of this marker); February 9, 1778 (within shouting distance of this marker); Loyalist Raid of 1778 (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Justices House (about 300 feet away); Friends Meeting (about 400 feet away); Half-Moon Inn (about 400 feet away); The First National Bank (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newtown.
 
White Hall Photo on Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., October 15, 2009
3. White Hall Photo on Marker
[Caption reads] View of the White Hall Hotel, circa 1895.
Whitehall image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr.
4. Whitehall
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 4, 2019. It was originally submitted on June 25, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 734 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 25, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photo of complete marker. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 4, 2020