Newtown in Bucks County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Newtown Heritage Walk No. 1
The Half-Moon Inn (popularly known as the Court Inn) is located at 101-103 Court Street. The south portion of the Inn was the original one and one-half story frame cottage of Margaret and Joseph Thornton built in 1733 and later used as a tavern. The Inn was a popular gathering place during court sessions when Newtown was the County Seat; hence, the name "Court Inn."
In the 1890s, the local telephone company purchased the building and subdivided it into two separate units. The Newtown Historic Association was the recipient of the north portion of the property in 1964 as a gift from the LaRue family. The Newtown Historic Association purchased the south residence in 1974 and restored it in 1982. After the restoration, the two doors connecting the two properties were re-opened to turn it back into one building. The Half-Moon Inn has served as the headquarters of the Newtown Historic Association since 1964 and is on the National Register of Historic Places. The Inn is one of the oldest and most historic buildings in Newtown.
Next door, the Thornton/Hicks House was initially constructed in 1782 by Margaret Thornton as a 2 1/2
Directly across the street is the Boone Garden. This 2,100 square foot parcel was donated to the Newtown Historic Association from the late Grace R. "Missy" Boone in 1972 for the enjoyment of the community.
Erected 2007 by the Newtown Historic Association.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Communications • Entertainment • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 40° 13.669′ N, 74° 56.171′ W. Marker is in Newtown, Pennsylvania, in Bucks County. Marker is at the intersection of Court Street and Centre Avenue, on the right when traveling north on Court Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 101-103 Court Street, Newtown PA 18940, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Justices House (within shouting distance of this marker); Newtown - County Seat (within shouting distance of this marker); Loyalist Raid of 1778February 9, 1778 (within shouting distance of this marker); The First National Bank (within shouting distance of this marker); Bird in Hand (within shouting distance of this marker); Whitehall (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); White Hall (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newtown.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 4, 2019. It was originally submitted on June 27, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 883 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on June 27, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.