Near Burlington in Alamance County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Power, Wheel House and Turbine
In 1894, the Holts installed a smaller turbine to generate electric power and made Glencoe one of the first mills in the county with electric lights. In 1903 they installed a steam engine to power the Dye House, Finishing Room, and Napper Room. In the 1930s, they converted to electric machinery, using water power to generate the electricity.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1894.
Location. 36° 8.326′ N, 79° 25.67′ W. Marker is near Burlington, North Carolina, in Alamance County. Marker is on Glencoe Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Burlington NC 27215, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Picker House and Dye House (here, next to this marker); The Mill Buildings (here, next to this marker); Glencoe - Life in the Mill Village (a few steps from this marker); Glencoe Management Houses (within shouting distance of this marker); Glencoe - Company Office and Store (within shouting distance of this marker); The Rise of the Textile Mill Communities (within shouting distance of this marker); Living in a Mill-Centered World (within shouting distance of this marker); Neighbors Divided (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Burlington.
Additional keywords. Textiles, Alamance Cotton Mill, Burlington, Company Shops, fabrics, Holt
Credits. This page was last revised on November 30, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 29, 2010, by Patrick G. Jordan of Graham, North Carolina. This page has been viewed 714 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 29, 2010, by Patrick G. Jordan of Graham, North Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.