Madison in Dane County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Old Governor's Mansion
Erected 1972 by Madison Landmarks Commission. (Marker Number 7.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Industry & Commerce. In addition, it is included in the Wisconsin, Madison Landmarks Commission series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1883.
Location. 43° 4.784′ N, 89° 23.203′ W. Marker is in Madison, Wisconsin, in Dane County. Marker is on East Gilman Street, 0.1 miles east of North Pinckney Street, on the left when traveling east. The marker is on the ground by the sidewalk in front of the Old Governor's Mansion. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 130 East Gilman Street, Madison WI 53703, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within Kendall House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Bashford House (about 300 feet away); Timothy Brown House (about 300 feet away); Period Garden Park (about 400 feet away); Mansion Hill Historic District (about 400 feet away); Keyes House (about 400 feet away); Pierce House (about 400 feet away); Keenan House (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Madison.
Regarding Old Governor's Mansion. According to the Madison Landmarks Commission, "this house was originally built for Catherine and Julius T. White, Secretary of the Wisconsin Insurance Company. The Whites sold the house in 1857 to one of Madison's first settlers, George P. Delaplaine and his wife, Emily. Delaplaine was secretary to Governors Farwell and Dewey and co-owner of one of the largest real estate development firms in the city. In 1867 the house rose to greater social prominence when it was purchased by State Senator J. G. Thorp, a millionaire lumber baron, and his wife, Amelia. In 1870, the Thorp's young daughter, Sarah, married Ole Bull, the world-famous 60-year-old Norwegian violinist in one of the most lavish weddings the town had ever seen. ... Conover and Porter designed renovations in 1897 which including a sweeping wrap-around veranda with Ionic columns, which
Credits. This page was last revised on August 10, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 30, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 2,757 times since then and 93 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 30, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.