Columbia in Richland County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
St. Peter's Church and Ursuline Convent
Erected 1938 by The Columbia Sesquicentennial Commission of 1936. (Marker Number 40-34.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
Location. 34° 0.316′ N, 81° 2.258′ W. Marker is in Columbia, South Carolina, in Richland County. Marker is on Assembly Street near Taylor Street (South Carolina Highway 12), on the right when traveling south. Located between Taylor Street (SC 12 westbound) and Hampton (SC 12 eastbound) Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Columbia SC 29201, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. St. Peter's Roman Catholic Church (a few steps from this marker); The Big Apple (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Israelite Sunday School / Columbia's First Synagogue Nathaniel J. Frederick House (about 700 feet away); Canal Dime Savings Bank/Bouie v. City of Columbia (1964) (about 700 feet away); North Carolina Mutual Building (about 700 feet away); Taylor Street (about 800 feet away); Sidney Park C.M.E. Church (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbia.
Regarding St. Peter's Church and Ursuline Convent. Built in 1906, St. Peter’s Roman Catholic Church is primarily significant as an excellent example of Gothic Revival church architecture designed by a major regional architect. St. Peter’s is also significant as one of the most important Catholic churches in South Carolina, established in 1821 and considered the “mother church” of many congregations in South Carolina, North Carolina and Georgia. It was designed by Frank Pierce Milburn, one of the most significant and prolific architects working in the South from the 1880s to the 1920s. Milburn, a Kentucky native, practiced throughout the Southeast, most notably in North and South Carolina. His work includes several railroad stations, several buildings at the University of North Carolina at
Also see . . . St. Peter's Church History. The first Catholics to settle in Columbia, according to the most reliable traditions of the parish, were a body of laborers brought to work on the canal in 1821. (Submitted on July 7, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 7, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,246 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on July 7, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.