Prescott in Yavapai County, Arizona — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Prescott National Guard Armory
The Prescott National Guard Armory, one of the largest and most prominent buildings on East Gurley Street, was designed by architect Orville A. Bell and was constructed on land donated to the State of Arizona by the City of Prescott. This was a portion of the property preciously donated to the City by Mr. & Mrs. Charles T. Joslin. A Works Progress Administration (W.P.A.P) project, construction of the Armory was begun on March 5, 1936 and completed in November, 1939. The Armory was designed as a vernacular structure with elements of Richardsonian Romanesque style in the decorative detail. The building is constructed of reinforced concrete with native ashlar granite facing
In July of 1980 the Armory, no longer needed by the Arizona Nation Guard, was deeded to the City of Prescott. Today it is used as a multi-use City Parks and Recreation facility. The Prescott National Guard Armory is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
Erected by City of Prescott.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Military • Notable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the Works Progress Administration (WPA) projects series list.
Location. 34° 32.526′ N, 112° 27.511′ W. Marker is in Prescott, Arizona, in Yavapai County. Marker can be reached from East Gurley Street east of North Arizona Avenue. Marker is on a metal post near the southwest corner of the building. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 824 East Gurley Street, Prescott AZ 86301, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Grace M. Sparkes (here, next to this marker); City Park and Ballfield (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); VFW Bucky O'Neill Post No. 541 (about 700 feet away); Citizens Cemetery (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of the O'Neill/Munds House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Washington School (approx. 0.4 miles away); Prescott High School and the Yavapai Club (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Day Octagon (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Prescott.
Regarding Prescott National Guard Armory. This building is now the site of the Grace M. Sparkes Activity Center.
See Nearby Marker "Grace M. Sparkes" for additional information.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 16, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 2,202 times since then and 83 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 16, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.