Corning in Steuben County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
City of Corning
began a community here in
1835. It incorporated as a
village in 1848 and as a
city in 1890.
Erected 1987 by Norstar Bank, J. Baer B.S.A.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1835.
Location. 42° 8.556′ N, 77° 3.148′ W. Marker is in Corning, New York, in Steuben County. Marker is at the intersection of Cedar Street (New York State Route 414) and Denison Parkway East (New York State Route 352), on the right when traveling north on Cedar Street. It is located across from the Rockwell Museum of Western Art. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Corning NY 14830, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Erie Avenue (within shouting distance of this marker); Ecker Drug Store (within shouting distance of this marker); The Rockwell Museum (within shouting distance of this marker); Galvin and Haines Insurance (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Corning Centennial Sculpture Concert Hall Block (about 600 feet away); Market Street Historic District (about 600 feet away); Brown's Cigar Store (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Corning.
More about this marker. The marker was moved about 20 feet south of its 2010 location sometime between 2010 and 2015, and its orientation turned 90 degrees to parallel Cedar Street.
Also see . . . Corning- America's Most Fun Small Town. Steuben Valley CVB website entry (Submitted on December 23, 2021, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 23, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 18, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 694 times since then and 70 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 18, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 4, 5. submitted on November 30, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.