Platteville in Grant County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Platteville Started Here
In November of 1827 John Rountree and his partner, Major J. B. Campbell, purchased a mineral claim from Emanuel Metcalf for $3,600. The Rountree Lead, was the first mine developed in what would become the city of Platteville. It was near this spot that the "bluff" could be found that would mark the entrance of the Rountree Mine.
With the start of this mine, the further development of Platteville was begun. A lead smelting furnace, a store, and a Post Office, followed to serve the increasing numbers of settlers arriving in the area.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Natural Resources • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical month for this entry is November 1827.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Platteville WI 53818, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Main Street Commercial Historic District Platteville (approx. 0.4 miles away); First State Normal School (approx. half a mile away); World's Largest M (approx. 4 miles away); Land, Lead, and Politics (approx. 6.1 miles away); The First Capitol (approx. 6.1 miles away); Governor Tommy G. Thompson's 1998 Address At Wisconsin's First Capitol (approx. 6.1 miles away); Belmont, Wisconsin Territory, 1836 (approx. 6.2 miles away); 1998 Wisconsin Assembly (approx. 6.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Platteville.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 19, 2010, by Gordon Govier of Monona, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 674 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 19, 2010, by Gordon Govier of Monona, Wisconsin. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.