Hendersonville in Henderson County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
412-414 N. Main
— (Hendersonville, N.C.) —
Originally a brick facade, the Pickwick lunches & billiards was here from 1937 until 1955. Rosenberg's Men's Wear and Wade's Shoes shared the building in the late 1950s. Mac's Men's Wear operated here from 1960 until 2007. The owner, Max Provda, was a downtown retailer for 60 years.
Erected by Hendersonville Historic Preservation Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1920.
Location. 35° 19.033′ N, 82° 27.608′ W. Marker is in Hendersonville, North Carolina, in Henderson County. Marker is on North Main Street, on the right when traveling north. Located between 4th and 5th Avenues. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Hendersonville NC 28792, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. J. C. Penny Building (here, next to this marker); Queen Theater (here, next to this marker); Ewbank & Ewbank Building (a few steps from this marker); Commercial Bank Building (within shouting distance Citizens National Bank (within shouting distance of this marker); First Bank & Trust Co. (within shouting distance of this marker); Kirk Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Hunter Building (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hendersonville.
Regarding 412-414 N. Main. Max Provda bravely served his country during World War II as a medic in the Army and while stationed at Camp Swift near Austin, Texas met his future bride, Janet Rosenberg. He served in the Aleutians and in the European theater.
Max and Janet married on March 24, 1946 at the Skyland Hotel in Hendersonville and they honeymooned at the Grove Park Inn in Asheville. He joined his father-in-law, Jake Rosenberg, in his men’s clothing store located on Main Street next to the Carolina Theater. In 1957, the store was renamed Mac’s Men’s Wear. Max was a pioneer in the big and tall business in Western North Carolina. He enjoyed owning and operating his business until his retirement in 2007. He received numerous honors, including Merchant of the Year. He loved being a merchant and was always
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 27, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 600 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 27, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.