Preston in Caroline County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Started 1846 around Frazier's Chapel, an early Methodist Church, the land for which was purchased 1797. First called "Snowhill", the name was changed to Preston 1856, in honor of a prominent Baltimore lawyer. Preston was chartered as a town 1892.
Erected by State Roads Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1846.
Location. 38° 42.716′ N, 75° 54.49′ W. Marker is in Preston, Maryland, in Caroline County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (Maryland Route 331) and Maple Street, on the right when traveling south on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Preston MD 21655, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of Frazier’s Chapel (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Linchester Mill (approx. 0.9 miles away); The Underground Railroad (approx. 0.9 miles away); Linchester (approx. 0.9 miles away); a different marker also named Linchester Mill Leverton House (approx. 1.1 miles away); Mt. Pleasant Cemetery (approx. 1.1 miles away); Mt. Pleasant M. E. Church (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Preston.
Also see . . . Preston Historical Society. Society website homepage (Submitted on March 5, 2022, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.)
Credits. This page was last revised on March 7, 2022. It was originally submitted on November 6, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,357 times since then and 6 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on November 6, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.