Toluca in Marshall County, Illinois — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Toluca Coal Mine
In 1893 the Sante Fe Railroad authorized Charles Devlin, their manager of mining properties, to purchase the mineral rights here to 11,000 acres. The Devlin Coal Company sank two shafts and began producing coal using the longwall method, extracting coal from a seam as work progressed along a continuous working face. At its peak in 1905, 771 workers produced 379,000 tons of coal.
The mine attracted hundreds of immigrants, especially Italians. Toluca boomed until the mine closed in 1924, unable to compete with mines that produced coal at greater efficiency. These two slag heaps, "The Jumbos," are memorials to the region's coal industry and its workers.
Erected 2001 by Illinoi History Club of Lexington High School and the Illinois State Historical Society.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars. In addition, it is included in the Illinois State Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1893.
Location. 40° 59.973′ N, 89° Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Toluca IL 61369, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 26, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 27, 2010, by Cindi Knox of Joliet, Illinois. This page has been viewed 1,337 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 27, 2010, by Cindi Knox of Joliet, Illinois. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.