Jamestown in Tuolumne County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Renamed the National Hotel in early 1900’s it is one of the oldest continuously operated hotels in the Mother Lode. Present owners-partners took over in 1974. Their restoration has preserved much of the past such as the use of the original bar.
Erected 1987 by Matuca Chapter 1840, E Clampus Vitus.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the E Clampus Vitus series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1859.
Location. 37° 57.164′ N, 120° 25.383′ W. Marker is in Jamestown, California, in Tuolumne County. Marker is on Main Street west of Seco Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 18183 Main Street, Jamestown CA 95327, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Emporium – 1897 (within shouting distance of Ramirez – Preston Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Jamestown (within shouting distance of this marker); Rocca Park (within shouting distance of this marker); Jamestown United Methodist Church (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Jamestown Branch Jail (about 300 feet away); Mark Twain Bret Harte Trail (about 400 feet away); Community Hall / Jamestown Justice Court (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jamestown.
Also see . . . History of the National Hotel. The hotel’s website offers a history of the building. (Submitted on July 28, 2010.)
Credits. This page was last revised on September 23, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 28, 2010, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona. This page has been viewed 759 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 28, 2010, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona. 4. submitted on October 26, 2013, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. 5. submitted on July 28, 2010, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona.