Jamestown in Tuolumne County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Community Hall / Jamestown Justice Court
Built circa 1910 as Klein and Baum commercial building. Purchased by County of Tuolumne in 1955 by Resolution 39 of Board of Supervisors, Kerr, Dondero Millard, Nicholls and Williams, “for use as a Justice Court and other public purposes.”
Served as Jamestown’s Justice Court from 1955-1996
Site of last of five County Justice Courts.
Commemorated by Resolution 172-96 of Board of Supervisors, DeBernardi, Holman, Marks, Rountree and Rotelli on August 27, 1996.
Erected 1996 by Tuolumne County.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Government & Politics • Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1910.
Location. 37° 57.233′ N, 120° 25.362′ W. Marker is in Jamestown, California, in Tuolumne County. Marker is on Main Street west of Smoke Street, on the right when traveling west. Marker is mounted to the left of the entrance to the Tuolumne County Sheriff’s Community Service Unit Office. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 18250 Main Street, Jamestown CA 95327, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distanceThe Willow (within shouting distance of this marker); Rocca Park (within shouting distance of this marker); Jamestown Branch Jail (within shouting distance of this marker); Jamestown (within shouting distance of this marker); Red Light District (within shouting distance of this marker); 75 Pound Nugget (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Ramirez – Preston Building (about 300 feet away); Jamestown United Methodist Church (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jamestown.
Regarding Community Hall / Jamestown Justice Court. Originally built as a commercial building in the early 1900’s, it has served as offices and courtroom, for the 5th District Justice Court, the Jamestown Planning Commission meeting place, and other public affairs as a general meeting facility owned by the County of Tuolumne. A rectangular, single-story poured concrete structure, it has had several changes to its front façade.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 28, 2010, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona. This page has been viewed 875 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 28, 2010, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona. 3. submitted on October 26, 2013, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.