Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Cullman in Cullman County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

Evangelical Protestant Church

 
 
Evangelical Protestant Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tim Carr, July 31, 2010
1. Evangelical Protestant Church Marker
Inscription.  The first church in the City of Cullman was established on this block of land donated by the North and South Railroad in February 1874. Lots 154, 155, and 181 were granted to Henry Dietz, August Henning, and George Stoback as trustees of the Evangelical Protestant Church for the sole purpose of constructing a church building. Col. John Cullman, land agent, was a charter member of the church. The church building was made into a dwelling house after the congregation moved to a new location, 512 Second Avenue East, in 1881 where the church became known as St. John’s Evangelical Protestant Church.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionRailroads & StreetcarsSettlements & Settlers.
 
Location. 34° 10.35′ N, 86° 50.767′ W. Marker is in Cullman, Alabama, in Cullman County. Marker is at the intersection of 4th Street Southwest and 5th Avenue Southwest, on the right when traveling east on 4th Street Southwest. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Cullman AL 35055, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker.
Evangelical Protestant Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tim Carr, July 31, 2010
2. Evangelical Protestant Church Marker
Weiss Cottage (approx. 0.3 miles away); Sand Mountain Plateau (approx. 0.4 miles away); St. John’s Evangelical Protestant Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); Cullman Railroad Depot (approx. half a mile away); “Die Deutsche Kolonie Von Nord Alabama” (approx. half a mile away); Johann Gottfried Cullmann (approx. half a mile away); Cullman, Alabama (approx. half a mile away); Colonel John G. Cullmann (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cullman.
 
Evangelical Protestant Church site image. Click for full size.
By Tim Carr, July 31, 2010
3. Evangelical Protestant Church site
St. John’s Evangelical Protestant Church image. Click for full size.
By Tim Carr, July 31, 2010
4. St. John’s Evangelical Protestant Church
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 31, 2019. It was originally submitted on August 1, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 1,204 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 1, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 12, 2020