Refugio in Refugio County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Refugio County Courthouse
Construction of a permanent county courthouse began about 1850 here on the town's central plaza, dedicated for municipal buildings when Refugio was a Mexican pueblo (1821-1836). The one-story courthouse, made from shell concrete and cypress lumber, was enlarged to a two-story structure in the late 1850s. A new courthouse, built in the mid-1870s, burned in 1879 and was replaced with a new structure in 1880. The fifth Refugio County courthouse, designed by San Antonio architect Atlee B. Ayres and built by local contractor W. H. Borglud, was completed at this site in December 1917.
In the 1920s oil and natural gas were discovered in significant quantities throughout Refugio County. The burgeoning oil and gas industries led to an increase in population and business activity in the county, and in the 1950s the county courthouse was expanded with the addition of north and south
Sesquicentennial of Texas Statehood 1845-1995.
Erected 1994 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 4233.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Government & Politics.
Location. 28° 17.792′ N, 97° 16.536′ W. Marker is in Refugio, Texas, in Refugio County. Marker is on Commerce Street when traveling east. In front of the courthouse entrance. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 808 Commerce Street, Refugio TX 78377, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Colonel A. M. Hobby/Hobby's 8th Texas Infantry Regiment, C.S.A. (here, next to this marker); Refugio County (here, next to this marker); Empresario James Power (here, next to this marker); Sally Scull (here, next to this marker); Dennis M. O'Connor Public Library (within shouting distance of this marker); Amon B. King (within shouting distance of this marker); Irish Immigrants in Refugio (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Yucatan Soldiers' Burial Site (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Refugio.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 1, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 533 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 1, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.