Madison in Dane County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The Temperance Movement Battled Madison''s Breweries
The Madison Heritage Series
Founded in 1863, Hausmann’s Capital Brewery flourished on the corner of State and Gorham streets. But in 1907, temperance proponents scored a shrewd victory by rallying the public against saloons’ corrosive effects on University of Wisconsin students. When temperance leaders engineered a “dry zone” within a half-mile of campus, the Hausmanns used their influence to ensure that the zone stopped just short of their brewery.
In 1917, voters outlawed alcohol sales in the entire city. The Hausmanns simply opened a warehouse in Middleton to serve Madison customers.
But such fortune couldn’t last. A 1919 ban on drinking, selling and transporting alcohol ushered in the Prohibition Era nationwide. The Capital Brewery building burned down in 1923.
Madison enjoyed a thriving beer industry spearheaded by German-Americans. Five breweries were in operation from 1866 to 1874: Fauerbach Brewery, Rodermund
Erected 2006 by City of Madison.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce.
Location. 43° 4.482′ N, 89° 23.507′ W. Marker is in Madison, Wisconsin, in Dane County. Marker is at the intersection of West Gorham Street and State Street, on the left when traveling west on West Gorham Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Madison WI 53703, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Vietnam War protesters and police clashed here (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Woman's Building (about 400 feet away); Braley House (about 500 feet away); Holy Redeemer Catholic Church (about 800 feet away); Wootton - Mead House (about 800 feet away); Orpheum Theater (about 800 feet away); Chi Phi Fraternity (approx. 0.2 miles away); Kessenich's Building (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Madison.
More about this marker. This marker is part of the Madison Heritage Series, Sharing Our Legacy, created for Madison's sesquicentennial. The marker was sponsored by the Madison Community Foundation.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 16, 2018. It was originally submitted on August 3, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 841 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 3, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. 5, 6. submitted on September 6, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.