Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Fremont in Waupaca County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Old Wolf River Crossing

 
 
Old Wolf River Crossing Marker image. Click for full size.
By Keith L, August 21, 2010
1. Old Wolf River Crossing Marker
Inscription.  This landing was the chief point of entry for pioneers who first settled the land between the Wolf and Wisconsin Rivers. On June 1, 1852, a legislative proclamation opened these lands for settlement. The Big Crossing almost immediately followed and several hundred pioneer families crossed here. Before occupation by the white man this site was an ancient Indian village and later became important as a steamboat landing and stopover on the famous log drives. (Marker Number 48.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers.
 
Location. 44° 15.527′ N, 88° 51.802′ W. Marker is in Fremont, Wisconsin, in Waupaca County. Marker can be reached from Wolf River Drive south of Main Street. Marker is located next to the public boat ramp by Wolf River Crossing Park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fremont WI 54940, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within 15 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Veterans Memorial (approx. 5.7 miles away); Poygan Paygrounds (approx. 9˝ miles away); Samuel N. Rogers, Sr.
Old Wolf River Crossing Marker image. Click for full size.
By Keith L, August 21, 2010
2. Old Wolf River Crossing Marker
(approx. 10.7 miles away); Birthplace of the American Water Spaniel (approx. 11 miles away); New London Fairground (approx. 11.9 miles away); Little House (approx. 12˝ miles away); Melvin O. Handrich (approx. 14.3 miles away).
 
More about this marker. This is a Wisconsin Registered Landmark – Number 48.
 
Also see . . .
1. Historical Sites of Waupaca County. "Before Fremont received its name, the settlement was referred to as the Indian Crossing, or the Wolf River Crossing, as it was the only location in the 40-mile stretch between Winneconne and New London that was shallow enough for early travelers to cross the Wolf River." (Submitted on August 3, 2010.) 

2. Photo of the marker. (Submitted on August 4, 2010, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin.)
 
Wolf River Crossing Park image. Click for full size.
By Keith L, June 19, 2010
3. Wolf River Crossing Park
Main Street at Wolf River image. Click for full size.
By Keith L, June 19, 2010
4. Main Street at Wolf River
Site of the 1922-1976 Fremont Bridge
(Old bridge plaque located at guard rail.)
Fremont Bridge 1922 Plaque image. Click for full size.
By Keith L, June 19, 2010
5. Fremont Bridge 1922 Plaque
Wisconsin Highway Commission, Engineers · County Highway Committee, Richard Scmoepke-Chairman, Martin Malloy, H.J. Becker · Wausau Iron Works, Contractors, Wausau Wis. · Scherzer Rolling Lift Bridge, Designed by The Scherzer Rolling Lift Bridge Co, Chicago Ill.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 3, 2010, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 886 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 21, 2010, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin.   3, 4, 5. submitted on August 3, 2010, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 13, 2020