Waterford in Racine County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
This settlement gave rise to the first Norwegian Lutheran congregation organized in America (1843) and published the first Norwegian-American newspaper. Old Muskego became well known as a mother colony to other settlements, schools and churches springing up on the new frontier. Countless wagonloads of newcomers stopped here before continuing west.
Nearby Heg Park commemorates Colonel Hans C. Heg, one of Wisconsin’s Civil War heroes.
Erected 1963 by Wisconsin State Historical Society. (Marker Number 129.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. In addition, Wisconsin Historical Society series list.
Location. 42° 48.219′ N, 88° 10.296′ W. Marker is in Waterford, Wisconsin, in Racine County. Marker is at the intersection of Heg Park Road and Norway Hill Road, on the right when traveling north on Heg Park Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Waterford WI 53185, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Maney Ridge Prehistoric Effigy Mounds (approx. 4.8 miles away); Dodges Corners Cemetery (approx. 5.3 miles away); Village of Big Bend (approx. 5˝ miles away); Haseltine Cobblestone House (approx. 6˝ miles away); Muskego (approx. 6˝ miles away); Town of Vernon (approx. 6.7 miles away); Old Muskego Town Hall (approx. 6.7 miles away); The Devil's Teapot (approx. 6.8 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 9, 2010, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 761 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 9, 2010, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.