Augusta in Richmond County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Medical College of Georgia
Erected 1954 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 121-3.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1828.
Location. 33° 28.138′ N, 81° 59.283′ W. Marker is in Augusta, Georgia, in Richmond County. Marker is on Laney-Walker Boulevard, on the right when traveling west. Located between Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Augusta GA 30901, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Stoney Nurses Home (approx. 0.2 miles away); Dr. John M. Tutt (approx. 0.4 miles away); Haines Normal and Industrial Institute (approx. 0.4 miles away); Lucy Craft Laney (approx. 0.4 miles away); John McClinton Tutt (approx. 0.4 miles away); Paine College (approx. half a mile away); The Augusta Canal (approx. 0.6 miles away); George Walton (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Augusta.
Regarding The Medical College of Georgia. The Medical College moved to this site in 1913, not 1911. The class of 1912 was the last class to complete its education in the building at Telfair and Sixth streets. The class of 1913 started its senior year at the Old Medical College but transferred to the newly renovated Tuttle-Newton home on January 2, 1913. Later this building became known as the Newton Building and served as the administration building until the Kelly Building was completed in 1954.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. shown.for he Medical College of Georgia
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 10, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 786 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on August 10, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.