Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Rye in Westchester County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Rye Meeting House

 
 
Rye Meeting House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Suzanne Clary, June 7, 2010
1. Rye Meeting House Marker
Inscription.  
c. 1835,
Religious Society of Friends,
Quaker.
The Founder of Quakerism, George Fox, who landed at Rye in 1678, experienced that God speaks to the condition of each person through an Inner Light.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Quakerism series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1835.
 
Location. This marker has been replaced by another marker nearby. It was located near 40° 57.529′ N, 73° 41.33′ W. Marker was in Rye, New York, in Westchester County. Marker was on Milton Road. Marker is between Hewlett Avenue and Fairlawn Street. Touch for map. Marker was at or near this postal address: 624 Milton Road, Rye NY 10580, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. A different marker also named Rye Meeting House (here, next to this marker); The Bird Homestead and Rye Meeting House (within shouting distance of this marker); Milton Commercial District (within shouting distance of this marker); The Timothy Knapp House
Rye Meeting House image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Suzanne Clary, June 7, 2010
2. Rye Meeting House
Click or scan to see
this page online
(approx. half a mile away); Milton Cemetery (approx. half a mile away); The Purdy Burying Ground (approx. half a mile away); Playland Amusement Park (approx. 0.6 miles away); Boston Post Road (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Rye.
 
Regarding Rye Meeting House. The Rye Meeting House has had many different purposes during its history including use as a schoolhouse, an Episcopal gathering place for roughly 8 decades called Grace Chapel, and a Zen retreat. It was acquired by the City of Rye in 2002 through a Land and Water Conservation grant and awaits restoration. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2004.
 
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. This marker has been replaced by the linked marker.
 
Also see . . .  Rye Meeting House. Wikipedia entry (Submitted on February 18, 2021, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 6, 2022. It was originally submitted on August 17, 2010, by Suzanne Clary of Rye, New York. This page has been viewed 925 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 17, 2010, by Suzanne Clary of Rye, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=34520

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Aug. 18, 2022