Eatonton in Putnam County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Bronson House
Andrew & Mary Ann Clopton Reid’s 1852 National Register Greek Revival Mansion’s origins reach back to the 1816 “Eagle Tavern Inn.” Rising Star Masonic Lodge F & AM Lodge #39 minutes record its first Feast of St. John the Evangelist Festival Day here on Dec. 28, 1818. Thomas T. Napier owned and occupied it by 1820 & by 1822 its tax digest value was $3,500 ~ while most other buildings in town valued at $500 - $600. Eatonton’s famous tavern operator, William Wilkins, Sr., bought it in 1830 and lost it at sheriff’s sale Nov. 3, 1835, to wealthy planter brothers Andrew & Alexander Sydney Reid, who operated it as Reid’s Hotel. By 1846 Andrew Reid (1806-1865) owned it alone and by 1848 began the conversion to his private residence. James M. Broadfield (1815-1899) was the carpenter-architect who turned the earlier Inn into the Greek house. Twelve massive wooden fluted Doric columns, the massive entrance, interior Egyptian-style door, window & mantel molding & the hallway floor’s marbleized squares added sophistication. In 1874, Reid’s administrators sold to Francis Asberry Leverette, CSA (1845-1895), appointed U.S. Marshal for the Southern
By David Seibert, February 19, 2005
1. The Bronson House Marker
By David Seibert, August 4, 2010
2. The Bronson House and Marker
Click or scan to see
District of Georgia by Pres. Cleveland.
Leverette moved to Macon and died there after selling on Feb. 5, 1894 to James M. Rainey, who began renting rooms for $2.00 a day and even housed by 1901 Dr. Hopkins’ dental office. Mr. & Mrs. Emerson Foote Bronson rented it from Rainey in 1911 and bought from him in 1914. Bronson relocated from Tennille, GA, in 1908 as the new Central of GA Railroad Depot Agent. In 1931, his widow Nena Norwood Bronson (1868-1961), converted to a boarding house and then into 7 apartments, including her own. She preserved the property, careful not to remove architectural features. Her daughter Eunice Bronson (Frank P.) Stubbs (1896-1985) inherited, moved in and continued the family preservation tradition. Her six children, in tribute to their grandmother, mother and their preservation interest, sold it on Oct. 10, 1985, to the Eatonton-Putnam County Historical Society, Inc. for its headquarters. The Society opened the house on Dec. 14, 1985, for a lavish donors’ reception.
this page online
Erected 2001 by The Eatonton-Putnam Co. Historical Society, Inc.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical month for this entry is February 1754.
Location. 33° 19.629′ N, 83° 23.417′ W. Marker is in Eatonton, Georgia, in Putnam County. Marker is at the intersection
of North Madison Avenue and West Harris Street, on the right when traveling north on North Madison Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 114 North Madison Avenue, Eatonton GA 31024, United States of America. Touch for directions.
By David Seibert, August 4, 2010
3. The Bronson House and Marker
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site of John C. Mason's Dwelling House (within shouting distance of this marker); Childhood Home of Joel Chandler Harris (within shouting distance of this marker); Putnam County Confederate Monument (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Stoneman Raid (about 500 feet away); Putnam County (about 500 feet away); The March to the Sea (about 500 feet away); Veterans Flagpole (about 600 feet away); Putnam County Veterans Monument (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Eatonton.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 20, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 728 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 20, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.