Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
South Jordan in Salt Lake County, Utah — The American Mountains (Southwest)
 

South Jordan Settlement

 
 
South Jordan Settlement Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Jack Duffy, August 21, 2010
1. South Jordan Settlement Marker
Inscription.  In 1859, George A. Smith sold his Mexican Land Grant to Alexander Beckstead, who, with others, settled ½ mile to the south. They dug a five mile ditch from Jordan River, in operation since completed in 1863. Adobe Community House built, 1864. John Winward, first school teacher. In 1863, L.D.S. Branch organized, James Woods, Pres., succeeded by Wm. A. Bills, 1867, who became Bishop in 1877. Later, on this site, a 30 x 46 ft. granite-adobe chapel was erected also used for school and recreation. Far South County
 
Erected 1972 by Far South County, Daughters of Utah Pioneers. (Marker Number 383.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionEducationSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Daughters of Utah Pioneers series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1859.
 
Location. 40° 33.493′ N, 111° 55.236′ W. Marker is in South Jordan, Utah, in Salt Lake County. Marker is on South 1055 West, on the right when traveling south. Marker is adjacent
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
to (on the east side) of South Jordan City Cemetery. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 10600 South 1055 West, South Jordan UT 84095, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. South Jordan Cemetery (here, next to this marker); 1938 School Bus/Train Accident Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Granary & Hay Barn (approx. half a mile away); Lamb Shed (approx. half a mile away); Coal Storage Shed (approx. half a mile away); Milk House (approx. half a mile away); Garside/McMullin House (approx. half a mile away); Samuel and Geneva Holt Farmstead (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in South Jordan.
 
South Jordan Settlement Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Jack Duffy, August 21, 2010
2. South Jordan Settlement Marker
South Jordan Settlement Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Jack Duffy, August 21, 2010
3. South Jordan Settlement Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 21, 2010, by Jack Duffy of West Jordan, Utah. This page has been viewed 1,184 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 21, 2010, by Jack Duffy of West Jordan, Utah. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=34679

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 26, 2024