Lafayette in Tippecanoe County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
1825 Lafayette 1925
1826 Tippecanoe County 1926
Lafayette. Named for America’s friend from France. Founded by William Digby in May 1825. Head of navigation on Wabash River. Important Port of Wabash Canal 1843 - 1859. Well-known station in “underground Railroad.” Home of Purdue University, established 1874. Center of Fertile agricultural area.
Tippecanoe County. Long a favorite abode of the red man. Scene of French and British rivalry, of Fort Ouiatenon, and of the Battle of Tippecanoe. Staunch supporter of the Union 1861 - 1865. Responsive to the call of oppressed Cuba 1898. Lavish of wealth and manhood in the World War 1917 - 1918. Seat of the State Soldiers’ Home.
Rich in history and material resources, illustrious in gifted sons and daughters, and sustained by devoted citizens. The City of Lafayette and Tippecanoe County with reverence for the past and with confidence in the future close the first Century.
Erected 1926 by Lafayette - Tippecanoe County Joint Centennial Council.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Places. A significant historical month for this entry is May 1825.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lafayette IN 47901, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. General Lafayette - Fountain (within shouting distance of this marker); To Commemorate The Wabash and Erie Canal (within shouting distance of this marker); The Tippecanoe County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); A Tribute to Joe Rumpza - The Vegetable King (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Earl & Hatcher Block (about 500 feet away); The Purple Heart Memorial (about 600 feet away); The Forty - Niners (about 700 feet away); John Purdue Block (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lafayette.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 23, 2010, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. This page has been viewed 787 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on August 23, 2010, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.